On Friday, Instagram rolled out over a half dozen new messaging features, following promises late last year that its DM (direct message) inbox would get a significant upgrade in 2022. The changes include the ability to share music previews in DMs, the ability to send a message silently, the ability to see who’s online to chat with, the ability to reply to messages while you browse your feed and more.
Now Instagram is turning its attention to the inbox. The changes include the following:
- Music sharing: Instagram will integrate with Apple Music, Amazon Music and, soon, Spotify, to allow users to share 30-second song previews in chats.
- Reply while browsing: The app will allow you to reply to new messages while browsing their Feed, without having to go to the inbox and lose your place.
- Quick sending: You can now tap and hold the share button to quickly reshare posts to your closest four friends.
- Status: At the top of your inbox, you can now see who’s free to chat with, similar to Messenger.
- Silent messages: You can opt to send messages to friends without bothering them — like when you know they’re busy or asleep. To do so, you’ll add “@silent” to your message.
- Lo-fi chat theme: A new theme designed to make conversations feel more personal, which features a cityscape scene and a cat.
- Polls: You can now use the Poll sticker to create a poll directly in the group chat.