It’s safe to say that TikTok is no longer considered a rogue app for teenagers dancing. Brands, artists and celebrities are building huge fan bases and communities on the app on a mainstream scale. The app is overtaking YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat.
The most obvious benefit with TikTok is that, if your strategies are smart, then it’s a hell of a great marketing platform and it’s free!
So, how to grow on TikTok?
Here is a little three-step breakdown on how to bump up engagement and truly understand how to control the platform – rather than let it control you. It’s as easy as 1,2,3…
- Sounds. TikTok is more helpful for this than reels. On the Explore page, you have a whole section dedicated to trending sounds. Pick one that suits your brand and film your take on it. The beauty with reels is that more often than not simple is better. For example, the trending sound of ‘Careless Whisper’ is usually used to talk about romantic situations that had a nobreaker – but why not flip it around and make the POV a freelancer whose client doesn’t pay and therefore the job doesn’t work out? Get creative with it and give them a go.
- Filters. The same goes for filters. Certain filters and green screens trend so use them to your advantage!
- Consistency – perfection ain’t the key, baby. The algorithm works on a ‘the more the merrier’ basis. It’s better to post twice a day, five days a week than once or twice a week which you might do with Instagram posts. To be honest, this used to be the case for Instagram back in the day, remember? Try and schedule some and like we have said, don’t overthink them. Take a simple TikTok’s more often and build up slowly.
Overall, there are many things to consider. However, it is worth noting that the app is still evolving so even if you look at the side of the argument which sits against TikToking for your brand, it is worth keeping a tab on the app to test when it’s ready to become a platform fit for you and your brand to promote itself.
- TikTok’s algorithm…here’s what we learnt.
- TikTok is shadow banning its users: What to do about it
- 16 tips on how freelancers can market themselves on TikTok.