Most creators design incredible websites that capture their style and elements of creativity, but forget when designing that the website is for clients.
𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗪𝗜𝗟𝗟 𝗕𝗘 𝗖𝗢𝗩𝗥𝗘𝗗 𝗜𝗡 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗖𝗟𝗘?
- Common mistakes freelancers make when making a website
- Key elements for a successful website
- How to layout your website
- Examples of best layouts
𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗠𝗢𝗡 𝗠𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗞𝗘𝗦 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗠𝗔𝗬 𝗕𝗘 𝗠𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚:
- You don’t set yourself goals – The first step in crafting your website’s copy, then, is to set your goals.
- Define your audience – Who’s that ideal client you’re looking to buy your services
- Tell your visitors what you want them to do – This step is vital. Because it’s only when you know what you want people to do, that you can write website copy that will persuade them to do it.
- Decide what will persuade them – The key is empathy: put yourself in their position.
- Make a list – Make a list of strong bullet points!
- Get someone to proofread your website!
𝗞𝗘𝗬 𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗦 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝗔 𝗦𝗨𝗖𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗙𝗨𝗟 𝗪𝗘𝗕𝗦𝗜𝗧𝗘:
Imagine/ view the website from your clients/ customers point of view and feature what they are looking for. Important pages to feature are:
- Front page (what should be included?)
- Contact information
- Services & Where to book your services?
- Testimonies & Case Studies
- About page
𝟭 – 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗥𝗢𝗡𝗧 𝗣𝗔𝗚𝗘
𝟱 𝗺𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗻𝘁 𝗽𝗮𝗴𝗲:
- This page should outline what services you offer (list all services separately and what goes into it – go into detail)
- At least a few testimonials / reviews. You could also include brand logos (If applicable) that you’ve worked with.
- Contact information (at the top & footer) -> make it easy for them to contact you -> live chat?!
- Preview of some portfolio work
- Nice to have: Video introducing yourself and your services
𝟱 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻 𝘁𝗶𝗽𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗿𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝗴𝗲:
- Compelling content
- Simple designs sells
- Ready for mobile sales
- Don’t be too “salesy”
- Use effective Call-to-actions buttons
𝟮 – 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗙𝗢𝗟𝗜𝗢
Very important → Make sure you use storytelling for portfolio posts!
- Gather design inspiration
→ Research what you like/ dislikes from other online portfolios
→ Look at portfolio trends, which are popular for your field of work
- Include the right content
→ Only represent your best work
→ Update regularly with new projects -shows your active and working
- Work on your UX
- Optimise your design portfolio for mobile
→ Declutter the site for a smaller screen – keep the most crucial elements
- Ask for honest feedback
→ Ask friends, other freelancers for professional feedback for UX, Etc.
3 – CONTACT INFORMATION
Should be incredibly easy for the visitor to find… as this is the key to get a contact.
Include the marketplace WISHU (and profile links) where clients can on-demand book/contact you. (New Trend)
𝟰 – 𝗢𝗨𝗧𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗗 𝗦𝗘𝗥𝗩𝗜𝗖𝗘𝗦 & 𝗛𝗢𝗪 𝗧𝗢 𝗛𝗘𝗟𝗣 𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗦𝗘𝗢?
Importance of SEO (Search Engine Optimization):
→Improve online visibility
→Generate more sales/leads
→Strengthen your brand’s authority and domain
→Connect with your direct audience
→Increase your social media traffic
A list of your services, laid out in an organized fashion. This could be in the form of an actual list, a table, or a series of separate sections. What’s vital here is that each service is clearly distinguished from the others.
𝟱 – 𝗧𝗘𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗢𝗡𝗜𝗔𝗟𝗦 & 𝗖𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗧𝗨𝗗𝗜𝗘𝗦
“Closing landing pages with reviews or placing a testimonial next to a “Buy Now” button are subtle ways you can incorporate this powerful persuasion element where it matters most.”
→ Customers want to build trust in you. Trust = Clients
→ Positive reviews are an effective method in building trust with potential buyers.
𝟲 – 𝗔𝗕𝗢𝗨𝗧 𝗣𝗔𝗚𝗘
→ Present your background
→ Short bio, provide essential information
→ About your activities and summarize your unique identity and values.
→ Include any distinctive elements, such as your achievements and skills.
→ It can also be a good idea to clarify your current employment status.
𝗛𝗢𝗪 𝗧𝗢 𝗟𝗔𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗧 𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗦𝗜𝗧𝗘? 𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗨𝗟𝗗 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗦𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗥?
Cater for the Small Screen!
In 2019, 80% of users accessed the internet from mobile devices rather than computers and keeps increasing every year. Making your website mobile-friendly is extremely necessary and is likely to contribute heavily to your sites traffic.